Freshly and lovingly baked and create on : 18th Oct 2014
Doing normal bake is no longer able to satisfy me and I wonder why. I desired to create edible piece of work and I am working hard towards that goal. But because I have no professional training, I find it difficult to find the correct medium or techniques to create the right effect. I am frustrated and I am looking around for a professional baker with such skill set to teach me. If you are reading this and you are working in singapore and you have some spare time, I be willing to learn!
Anyway, I wanted to create a realistic piece of work. My mom suggested centipede after my black widow post. I think that might work! So I attempt to paint it as realistic as possible. Everything on this plate is edible. Enjoy!
To create the soil, a simple chocolate cake will do.
1 Pint Chocolate ice cream
1 Cup Cake Flour
2 Tbsp Dutch Processed Cocoa
1 Tsp Instant coffee powder
1.5 Tsp Baking Powder
Melt the pint of ice cream and coffee powder in a pot. While doing so, sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder together. Once the melted ice cream cooled, stir in the powder mixture. Pour into desired pan and bake it in a preheated oven of 175 degree for 25 to 30 minutes.
This is the first time I am trying to make such a cake using ice cream. While the method is easy, I do not really fancy it. I do not like the texture but it works perfectly to create the “soil”. I added dutch processed cocoa powder to create the deep dark soil colour. Normal cocoa powder is not able to create such an effect.
To create the centipede, I am using macarons again. It is the same recipe as my prior post on “Qoo macaron post”.
However, this time, no feets are form. It is rather difficult to pipe a small area of macarons to made the centipede segment. While the feet does not form, I am indifference to using it since it will still achieve the look I wanted for this piece of work.
Next comes the colouring, deciding on the colours can be difficult. It took me a while to mix and match. I have finally settled down on 2 colours ie copper and brown.
I gave the centipede segments a coat of copper first. Then I added a bit of brown into the original copper colour to create the deeper colour and gave the segment another coat on the top end.
Next, I use royal icing to create the “Adhesive” to stick the segments onto the “soil” cake and use the royal icing to pipe the legs.
I coloured the royal icing copper.
I crumbled the cake to create the bed of soil. I stick the segment of centipedes onto the soil with the royal icing. And then I pipe in the feelers and legs.
I know I know. The legs look sucky! It is really tough to pipe on uneven surface. See how bad the legs are:
Since I am trying to create the soil look, uneven pieces of cakes caused the piping of the legs an ardous task. But well, I am still going to show you this piece of lousy work since it is a first attempt. Wish me better luck next round!